Work with Conner Prairie's youth volunteers! For a full job description and application, go to https://www.connerprairie.org/join-our-team/
Youth Experience Internship - Summer 2022 Paid
Job Location: Fishers - Fishers, IN
Position Type: Internship
Job Shift: Any
Job Category: Education
Position Purpose or Project:
With the largest new youth volunteer class in Conner Prairie history, there will be abundant opportunities for the intern to mentor and teach 10-17-year-olds. They will also aid in recruitment efforts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The intern will split their time between our outdoor historic grounds and indoor offices. Outdoor temperature in the summer can exceed 95 degrees.
- Assist with daily supervision of our 100+ youth volunteers, ages 10-18. Twenty-five youth or fewer will be present most days.
- Engage in observable 1:1 coaching sessions with youth on our historic grounds. These will focus on mastery of facts, interpretative delivery, communication skills, and kinesthetic skills.
- Introduce mentorship techniques for the older youth in our program through coaching sessions and trainings. Lead at least 2 leadership trainings for older youth.
- Learn administrative skills such as planning training, scheduling, recruitment, and assisting youth staff in youth volunteer evaluation.
- Gain an understanding of basic 3rd person interpretation by interpreting 1 half day every two weeks on the grounds. This understanding is essential not only for their own benefit, but to gain the skills necessary for evaluating and coaching youth.
- Assist in developing a youth application and making community connections to aid in recruitment of a diverse volunteer corps.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- A passion for youth growth and development in informal, dynamic learning environments.
- Knowledge of American History, youth development, or equivalent cultural studies is preferred but not required.
- Strong interest in non-profit organizations
- High school degree or equivalent. Preferred at least two years of collegiate studies.
- Collaborative rapport with adult staff, volunteers and Conner Prairie management
- Independent work ethic
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and/or Outlook is preferred but not required
Length of Internship/Hours (start & end date):
- Summer (middle of May to middle of August, dates flexible)
- 15 hours a week for 12 weeks. $11.50/hour.
- There is reasonable amount of schedule flexibility in this internship. The majority of hours will come when our museum is open, Tuesday-Sunday, 9am-5pm. Some weekends may be necessary to experience special programs. Occasional evenings may be required.
- Professional development; training and orientation
- Practical professional experiences
- Free parking and general admission to Conner Prairie
- Free admission to Conner Prairie events
- Discounts at the Conner Prairie Store and cafe
- Recommendation letters from staff and documentation of hours served